|Toy Brands and Manufacturers|
|1932 - 1940s|
Skybirds was an early (1930s) range of 1:70/1:72 scale model aircraft kits and accessories (also available pre-built) made by A.J. Holladay & Co. Ltd. of London, run by Alfred J. Holladay. Much or all of the range was designed by A.J. Stevens.
The range, made from wood, was produced from 1932 until the 1940s (when their property was destroyed in the Blitz), and predated the more modern plastic 1:72 model aircraft ranges later made by Airfix and Revell.
1939 Catalogue review
As mentioned in our issue last month, A. J. Holladay and Co. Ltd. have issued a new Skybird " list. We have now received a copy of this. It has been fully revised and brought up-to-date, while several new models have been added to the range. These make aeroplane construction simple, but for those people who do not wish to make up their own models they can be obtained ready assembled and painted. They range in prices to suit all pockets from "Hawker Fury," Sopwith "Camel" and "S.P.A.D." (French), etc., at 2s., to the Fairy "Hendon" and Night Bomber at 12s. 6d. These are for constructional sets, and the models already constructed retail from 6s. to 27s. 6d. There is also a complete and simple set for juniors termed the "Aeronca" which retails at 1s. 6d. There is a full range of accessories, etc., including engines, cowlings, airscrews, transfers, working materials, paints, etc., military equipment, aerodromes and aerodrome accessories, as well as a complete series of anti-aircraft models. The latter includes complete A.A. Gun Unit at 4s. 6d., anti-aircraft at 1s. 6d., complete A.A. Searchlight Unit, Sound Locator Unit, A.R.P. Air Raid Shelter, etc. In the mechanized units there are armoured cars, whippet tanks, ambulances and Army lorries.
There is also a large range of "Skybird" strong, solid cast figures and "Skybird" flying models. Full details and lists can be obtained from A.J. Holladay and Co. Ltd., 3 Aldermanbury Avenue, London, E.C.2.
— , --, , Games and Toys, , May 1939
- A. J. Holladay & Co. Limited, 3 Aldermanbury Avenue, London EC2
- OConnor Works Ltd, 135 Grays Inn Road, London WC1
Media in category ‘Skybirds’
The following 9 files are in this category, out of 9 total.
- Givjoy Cinemas and Skybirds Airport (MM 1933-10).jpg 2,400 × 1,586; 757 KB
- GivJoy Cinemas, Ship-Series and Skybirds (MM 1933-09).jpg 2,000 × 1,328; 525 KB
- Skybird League (MM 1933-07).jpg 909 × 1,200; 160 KB
- Skybird League logo.jpg 598 × 677; 46 KB
- Skybirds Aerodrome (MM 1933-05).jpg 2,800 × 1,935; 1.22 MB
- Skybirds Airport, logo.jpg 1,800 × 476; 60 KB
- Skybirds and Ship-Series (MM 1934-06).jpg 911 × 1,200; 219 KB
- Skybirds Ship Series (MM 1933-05).jpg 2,500 × 1,618; 524 KB
- Skybirds, and Skybird Airport (MM 1933-12).jpg 2,592 × 3,000; 1.26 MB