Coronation Scot US Tour presentation set 2/347 (Trix Twin Railways)
This exhibit was on display between November 2012 and early 2013
This model was intended to be Trix's "flagship" piece, riding on the back of all the publicity surrounding the "red train"'s US tour, and the new line was presented to the public just before the outbreak of war wrecked both the commercial future of the real train, and that of the model based on it.
Due to the high quality of the model and the lack of a proper production run, this is reckoned to be the most collectable model that Trix ever made. The model was very kindly loaned to the museum for the duration of the Coronation Scot exhibition in 2012.
Text from the 1939/40 catalogue:
LMS "Coronation Scot" loco and tender
- No. 2 / 542
- Length overall 10 5/8 ins
- " With headlight and dummy bell. Hand-painted, lined and lettered in the correct lake and gold colours of the latest L.M.S. "Coronation Scot." "
Scale Model Express Trains in Presentation Cabinets,
- " comprising 4-6-2 Loco. and Tender, one First Class and two brake Third Class coaches. Coaches fitted for uncoupling with ramp rail, Super Controller, Plugs, Wire and Instruction Book, all packed in handsome presentation cabinets. "
- No. 2 / 347
- " "Coronation Scot," a model of the famous L.M.S. streamlined train shown at New York World's Fair. Finished in standard L.M.S. lake colour with stripes in light buff. "
- The Coronation Scot – probably the most sought after of all TTR models (trix-twin.co.uk) -- scroll about 2/3 of the way down the page to see the section on the red "Coronation Scot" box, with pictures.