Category:Brighton trams

From The Brighton Toy and Model Index

Brighton's Trams and Trolleybuses ran from 1901 to 1939, with the first tram running in 1901 and the system basically being completed by 1904.

Brighton Corporation Tramways ("BCT")

Brighton Corporation Tramways ("BCT") ran the system, and had a headquarters/depot on Lewes Road, a red and cream horizontal-striped two-storey brick building with a small clock above the main facade (with a "civic" feel about it, like a tiny town hall, or perhaps a library) opposite a piece of open land. The building was repurposed slightly as a bus depot, and is apparently now earmarked for development for student housing.

The tram shelters

A couple of the original tram shelters can still be seen, by the Pavilion, near/on Old Steine. Although there's no real functional difference between these and modern bus shelters, the tram stops are rather more stylish and expensive-looking, cream-coloured with curved jutting art deco roof-ends, semicircular windbreaks at the ends, and rectangular panelled windows – somebody seems to have decided that waiting for a tram ought to be a pleasant architectural part of the day's experience.

Tram 53

Other than the main building and the last few tram shelters, the other main survivor of Brighton's tram period is Tram 53, the one and only surviving Brighton tram (a "Class F", and one of the last to be built). This was discovered in a shed on a pig farm, but has been undergoing renovation and repair by the Brighton Tram 53 Society, which was formed in 2010.

The toy museum has a small scratchbuilt model on display in its lobby of Tram 52, which is also a Type F.

1939 Brighton tram services: The final year

CORPORATION TRAMS

LSEA FRONT (AQUARIUM) and MOULSECOMBE
via Marlborough Place, Gloucester Place, St. Peter's Church, Lewes Road.
ESEA FRONT (AQUARIUM) and ELM GROVE and RACE HILL
via Route I to St. Peter's Church, Waterloo Place, Elm Grove.
QSEA FRONT (AQUARIUM) and QUEEN'S PARK
via Route E to Junction Elm Grove (Junction of Queen's Park Road) thence to Lower Rock Gardens.
DSEA FRONT (AQUARIUM) and DITCHLING ROAD
via Route L to St. Peter's Church, Ditchling Road, Preston Drove (Municipal Golf Links and Hollingbury Camp).
BSEA FRONT (AQUARIUM) and BEACONSFIELD ROAD
via Route L to St. Peter's Church, London Road, Preston Circus, Beaconsfield Road, and Villas, Preston Drove.
NSEA FRONT (AQUARIUM) and DYKE ROAD
via Route B to Preston Circus, New England Road, Seven Dials, Dyke Road.
CSEVEN DIALS and LOWER ROCK GARDENS and RACE HILL
via New England Road, Preston Circus, College, Elm Grove to Race Hill and Queens Park Road to Lower Rock Gardens.
SSEA FRONT and CENTRAL STATION
via Marlborough Place, North Road, Queen's Road.
  • Routes D and B comprise a Circular Tour of over 4 miles, occupying 30 minutes.

— , -, , Brighton Official Handbook, , 1939

External links

brighton corporation tramways:
brghton tram 53 society:

Media in category ‘Brighton trams’

The following 18 files are in this category, out of 18 total.