When Madeira Drive was built, the long, straight, flat section of tarmac with multiple high overlooking terraces made the road a magnet for groups wanting to organise motor speed trials, motorbike trials, classic vehicle rallies, and the like.
- 1 Event calendar (vehicle-based)
- 1.1 ~March
- 1.2 ~May
- 1.3 ~September
- 1.4 ~November
Event calendar (vehicle-based)
Events and dates were checked on December 2015. Most of these dates refer to the 2015 events, but since calendaring for future events is liable to change in the future (along with some sponsor names), it's advisable to check with the organising bodies and/or with www.brightonrun.co.uk before planning to attend.
Pioneer Run (motorcycles)
- Organised by The Sunbeam Motor Cycle Club, the Pioneer run normally happens in March, and is open to motorcycles built before 1915. The run starts at Epsom Downs at 8.am, and finished at Madeira Drive.
- * Pioneer Run, Sunbeam Motor Cycle Club (sunbeam-mcc.co.uk)
Historic Commercial Vehicle Society Run (HCVS)
- Held on the first Sunday in May, the HCVS Run is for commercial vehicles – vans, lorries and buses – built before 1915.
- * Historic Commercial Vehicle Society (hcvs.co.uk)
- * HCVS Run (brightonrun.co.uk)
The Mini Run
- Normally held in May, the Mini Run is for Mini owners, and runs from Crystal Palace to Madeira Drive. It's organised by the London & Surrey Mini Owners Club.
- * The London to Brighton Mini Run (london-to-brighton.co.uk)
- * The Mini Run (brightonrun.co.uk)
The Classic and Kit Car Run
- Normally held in May, "classic" cars are assumed to be more than 25 years old.
- * The Classic and Kit Car Run (classicmotorevents.co.uk)
- * Classic and Kit Car Run [brightonrun.co.uk)
The Brighton Speed Trials
- The Brighton Speed trials have been held on the straight quarter-mile strip since 1905, making it the oldest car racing event in the world. They are normally held on the second Saturday in September.
- * Brighton Speed Trials , Brighton & Hove Motor Club (brightonandhovemotorclub.co.uk)
- * Brighton Speed Trials Saved, The Telegraph (telegraph.co.uk)
RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge
- The RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge is a running event for electric and hybrid cars that takes place on the day before the Vintage Car Run (a Saturday), and runs in the opposite direction (Brighton to London)
London to Brighton Veteran Car Run
- Popularly known as the London to Brighton Rally, this even has been held since 1926, and uses Madeira Drive as its final assembly point. Vehicles have to have been built before 1904 in order to be allowed to participate.
The Rally usually takes place on the first Sunday in November.
This category has the following 4 subcategories, out of 4 total.
Pages in category ‘Petrolhead Brighton’
The following 3 pages are in this category, out of 3 total.
Media in category ‘Petrolhead Brighton’
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.
- 1902 Panhard-Levassor, RAC London-Brighton Veteran Car Rally (2016-11).jpg 3,000 × 1,799; 1.87 MB
- Brighton Motor Trials, July 1905, postcard (Mezzotint).jpg 3,000 × 1,941; 3.69 MB
- Brighton Motor Trials, July 1905, postcard detail (Mezzotint).jpg 1,244 × 697; 671 KB
- HCVS London-Brighton 1966 programme (HCVS-LBR 1966).jpg 1,304 × 2,000; 2.77 MB
- Historic Commercal Vehicle Run London-Brighton, page 1 (HCVS-LBR 1966).jpg 774 × 1,200; 683 KB
- Motor Speed Trials, Madeira Drive (BrightonHbk 1935).jpg 905 × 1,200; 850 KB
- Promenade of Power, car racing along Madeira Drive, Brighton (PAS 1938).jpg 3,000 × 2,163; 4.27 MB
- RAC London-Brighton Veteran Car Rally, Madeira Drive (2016-11).jpg 1,200 × 263; 311 KB
- RAC Veteran London-Brighton Car Rally (2016-11-06).jpg 1,200 × 673; 417 KB
- Veteran Car Club souvenir magazine (VCC 1963).jpg 1,067 × 1,600; 1.18 MB