Category:Milbro (Mills Brothers)
|Toy Brands and Manufacturers|
Milbro (Mills Brothers)
Milbro was the trademark of Mills Bros Model Engineers Ltd. of Sheffield and London.
Founded in (1919?), Milbro produced gauge 0 model locomotives, rolling stock, track and points (including some quite complex points systems), and also sold station buildings, signalling and other accessories. Like Bassett-Lowke, they also sold their specialised components (such as bogies and loco parts) separately, and could make up special locomotives to order.
For many collectors, one of the mosre distinctive features of the Milbro range was their wooden passenger carriages, which allowed the recreation of LNER teak-finished carriages in real varnished wood, rather than a faux-wood effect.
Milbro also sold wooden make-your-own-carriage kits, using a quite sophisticated system with slots for windows and windows spacer panels.
The profusion of Milbro parts and their promotion to the hobby builder market means that it’s not always obvious whether a carriage that seems to be a Milbro car really is a 100% Milbro-manufactured piece, or is a home-assembled piece made using Milbro parts to Milbro instructions, or is a more “freestyle” homebuild piece using a combination of Milbro and non-Milbro components.
Milbro's adverts tended to fixate on individual items, and could sometimes give the impression that the company was a very small operation with quite a restricted product range - however, by the late 1930s, their catalogue (cost 6d) was 104 pages thick, and had an introduction by J.N. Maskelyne, editor of "Model Railway News".
Milbro's Sheffield address was St Mary's Road, and their London showrooms were at 2 Victoria Colonnade, Victoria House, Southampton Row, London WC1 .
- Milbro Model Railways (milbromodelrailways.co.uk)
- Mills Bros (Milbro) (s436587802.websitehome.co.uk)
- Mills Brothers, Grace's Guide (gracesguide.co.uk)
Pages in category ‘Milbro (Mills Brothers)’
The following 3 pages are in this category, out of 3 total.
Media in category ‘Milbro (Mills Brothers)’
The following 15 files are in this category, out of 15 total.
- Flexon printed brickwork for model railway scenery (MilbroCat).jpg 914 × 1,200; 230 KB
- Milbro (Mills Brothers) London shop (MilbroCat).jpg 976 × 1,200; 221 KB
- Milbro (Mills Brothers) London shop exterior.jpg 1,073 × 1,415; 402 KB
- Milbro (Mills Brothers) London shop interior.jpg 1,415 × 1,066; 407 KB
- Milbro catalogue cover.jpg 778 × 1,200; 210 KB
- Milbro catalogue flyleaf.jpg 747 × 1,200; 115 KB
- Milbro logo.jpg 1,200 × 513; 91 KB
- Milbro Lord Nelson loco, Southern 850.jpg 1,200 × 676; 511 KB
- Milbro meatwagons ad 1939.jpg 1,186 × 1,459; 436 KB
- Milbro model railway coach parts 1of2 (MilbroCat).jpg 1,600 × 1,073; 251 KB
- Milbro model railway coach parts 2of2 (MilbroCat).jpg 1,600 × 1,044; 236 KB
- Milbro model railway wagon parts (MilbroCat).jpg 881 × 1,200; 178 KB
- Milbro steam-locomotive logo.jpg 896 × 464; 110 KB
- Milbro Track Parts (MM 1941-09).jpg 1,024 × 693; 152 KB
- Pullman carriages (Milbro).jpg 1,600 × 714; 141 KB