The Cheeky Chappie, Max Miller (statue)
The statue of legendary Brighton Music Hall comedian Max Miller (at the New Road end of Pavilion Gardens) was created by sculptor Peter Webster and paid for by the Max Miller Appreciation Society, and was unveiled on the first of May 2005.
The statue went into storage for safety during the pedestrianisation work on the adjacent New Road in 2007, and reappeared the same year.
The four thin sides of the bronze base each have one of Max Miller's catchphrases:
- "The Cheeky Chappie"
- "There’ll never be another"
- "Listen, listen"
- "What if I am?"
- "The Cheeky Chappie" statue is unveiled (maxmiller.org)
- Statue of Max Miller (publicsculpturesofsussex.co.uk)
- Max Miller statue (royalpaviliongardens.co.uk)
- Max Miller statue site sparks row (bbc.co.uk) – 1st February 2007