Irelands Royal Gardens

From The Brighton Toy and Model Index
Jump to navigationJump to search

  Disappeared Brighton  coordinates: 50.83256839, -0.1318464

Loading map...

Crosshairs 01.svg

Ireland's Royal Gardens opened in 1823. Eventually the Gardens became uneconomic, and some of the land was sold off for housing, with the central garden remaining as the private gardens for Park Crescent (behind the wall on the other side of the road just North of The Level).

1826 description:


To the lovers of pleasure, this must be considered one of the most fascinating places in the town of Brighton.

For several years Elm Grove, which is now a part of the Pavilion pleasure grounds was used as a public promenade and tea resort; but this being purchased by the Prince of Wales in 1800, was incorporated with the Royal Domain. Since which Brighton has been deficient of a place of this description, till the opening of Mr. Ireland's Pleasure Grounds in 1823. These gardens, which consist of 10 acres of land, are tastefully disposed for pleasure and enlivening recreation, and perhaps excel any place of this kind in the kingdom, for variety, accommodation, and beauty. The grounds include a spacious lawn, for cricket, and other manly exercises, which is separated from the gardens, and furnished with awnings in carved wood, and many other accommodations.

The gardens are disposed in shrubberies, meandering walks, a bowling green, promenades, &c. These are adorned with tea-boxes, and opposite is a canal with a bridge, which leads to a Gothic Castle, having a battery, mounted with six pieces of cannon. Beyond this is a maze or labyrinth, having in its centre a Merlin's swing, safely constructed.

Situated on the east entrance is the Hanover Arms Inn, and adjoining is a range of superior stabling. But the principle entrance to the cricket ground, is by a neat lodge at the south West angle, adjoining to which is a Billiard Room. In the centre and between the cricket lawn and pleasure gardens, is a large building with Reading Rooms, a Bar &c. on the long floor, and above a Saloon and Promenading Room sixty feet in length, and forty in breadth, presenting southward a view of the Level, Grand Parade, Steyne, Pavilion, and some of the most prominent parts of Brighton; and northward, the beautiful gardens belonging to the ground, Horse Barracks, Lewes Road, and a fine rural display of corn fields, meadows, pasture land, and the summits of the Downs, covered with flocks of sheep feeding on the rich herbage, for which they are so justly celebrated.

Mr. Ireland, we are happy to state, receives the most liberal patronage from the nobility and gentry visiting this town.

— , J. Whittemore, , 1826

External links