|Toy Brands and Manufacturers|
The Ubilda range (slogan: "You Build It"), was introduced by Burnett Limited in 1928 (source: V&A), and some of the range appears in the 1932 Gamages catalogue.
The Ubilda principle
The principle of Ubilda was a good one: since tinplate toys were printed as lithographed sheets of metal and then stamped out and hand-assembled, why not leave at least some of the labour-intensive assembly process to the customer, and sell the models as kits, with added play value, smaller boxes, and a cheaper price?
The Ubilda concept allowed buyers to get more extravagantly large tinplate toys for a given price, with the most popular piece in the range being the Ubilda tinplate Fort, which also had the clever idea of making the printed retail box double as a raised stand for the fort.
Chad Valley Ubilda
Product range (1935)
- Ubilda Sports Car (No.101/90)
- Ubilda Locomotive (No.99/90 & 103/90)
- Ubilda Motor Car (No.93/90)
- Ubilda Fort (No.31/90)
- Ubilda Mechanical Shovel (No.102/60)
- Ubilda Fort (No.30/60)
- Ubilda Tower Bridge (No.65/60)
- Ubilda Air Liner (No.88/42)
- Ubilda Locomotive (No.104/30, 105/30)
- Ubilda Fort (No.81/30)
- Ubilda Sports Car (No.98/30)
- Ubilda Fire Engine (No.66/30)
- Ubilda Motor Car (No.92/30)
- Ubilda Air Liner (No.89/30)
- Ubilda Racing Car (No.28/30)
- Ubilda Aeroplane (No.55/12)
- Ubilda Toy Sets
Marguerite Fawdry's book includes an inserted facsimile reproduction of the only known surviving example of a Burnett catalogue, for 1935-36
- Marguerite Fawdry, British Tin Toys (New Cavendish, 1990), ISBN 0904568865
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Barringer, Wallis and Manners (1 C, 3 P, 10 F)
Pages in category ‘Ubilda’
The following 3 pages are in this category, out of 3 total.
Media in category ‘Ubilda’
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.
- Ubilda Crane (GamCat 1932).jpg 1,431 × 1,209; 220 KB
- Ubilda Fort (GamCat 1932).jpg 1,394 × 1,527; 298 KB
- Ubilda Locomotive 11861 (GamCat 1932).jpg 1,403 × 1,545; 320 KB
- Ubilda Racing Car (GamCat 1932).jpg 1,371 × 1,341; 295 KB
- Ubilda Saloon Car (GamCat 1932).jpg 1,374 × 1,596; 296 KB
- Ubilda Toy Set (GamCat 1932).jpg 1,800 × 1,304; 296 KB