Category:Minic Vehicles (Second Series)
|Toy Brands and Manufacturers|
Minic Vehicles (Second Series)
The first of the Tri-ang Minic "Series II", "Second Series", or "No.2" range started to tentatively appear in advertising in the very late 1940s, starting with the No.2 Grand Prix Racer. By 1950 there were enough cars to justify calling it a "range" ("Series II"), which continued expanding through 1951.
The Minic Series 2 were plastic-bodied and larger than the original range of painted tinplate Minics, and tried to add ambitious additional features wherever possible, such as sound, or – in one case – a working four-speed gearbox for the clockwork motor.
The range replaced the short-lived Tri-ang Penguin plastic-shelled rubber-band-driven cars of the late 1940s, with the larger size allowing more experimentation with complex internal mechanisms. At around the same period, a few smaller plastic-shelled cars also quietly snuck into the "standard" Minic range.
1950(?) catalogue text
A new range of magnificent scale model cars – larger than those illustrated on left or overleaf – and with many exclusive MINIC features.
Each car is fitted with a new type clockwork motor for long runs at high speed and many incorporate the "auto-stop" units which stop the wheels when the model is picked up. With the exception of the No.2 Jeep which is all-steel, the Series II models feature detailed moulded bodies in a wide range of colours. Chromed radiators, bumpers and decor are fitted.
— , -, , Tri-ang Minic strip catalogue, , 1950
- MINIC No.2 Armoured Car – image
- MINIC No.2 Grand Prix Racer - image
- MINIC No.2 Jeep - image
- MINIC No.2 Musical Saloon Car - image
- MINIC No.2 Police Car - image
- MINIC No.2 Saloon Car - image
- MINIC No.2 Sports Car with 4-Speed Gear Box - image
- MINIC No.2 Sports Car with Horn - image
- MINIC No.2 "Stop-On" Saloon - image
- MINIC No.2 Taxi - image
1951 catalogue additions
- MINIC No.2 Ford Zephyr
- MINIC No.2 Sherman Tank
- MINIC No.2 Bulldozer
- MINIC No.2 Nuffield Tractor
- MINIC No.2 Six-Ton Tipper
- MINIC No.2 "Pathfinder" Electric Remote Controlled Car
Media in category ‘Minic Vehicles (Second Series)’
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.
- Armoured Car, Minic No2 (MinicStripCat 1950).jpg 1,169 × 966; 422 KB
- Grand Prix Racer, Minic No2 (MinicStripCat 1950).jpg 1,247 × 771; 379 KB
- Jeep, Minic No2 (MinicStripCat 1950).jpg 1,225 × 791; 369 KB
- Minic Series II (MinicStripCat 1950).jpg 659 × 1,200; 243 KB
- Musical Saloon Car, Minic No2 (MinicStripCat 1950).jpg 1,256 × 770; 326 KB
- Police Car, Minic No2 (MinicStripCat 1950).jpg 1,249 × 595; 291 KB
- Saloon Car, Minic No2 (MinicStripCat 1950).jpg 1,253 × 690; 292 KB
- Sports Car with 4-Speed Gear Box, Minic No2 (MinicStripCat 1950).jpg 1,262 × 868; 394 KB
- Sports Car with Horn, Minic No2 (MinicStripCat 1950).jpg 1,251 × 767; 395 KB
- Stop On Saloon, Minic No2 (MinicStripCat 1950).jpg 1,245 × 659; 320 KB
- Taxi, Minic No2 (MinicStripCat 1950).jpg 1,249 × 598; 315 KB