Category:Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Walt Disney's Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs was the company's (and the World's!) first full feature-length animated movie. Costing a vast amount of money to produce, and widely predicted to be a dismal failure, Snow White opened in 1937 to rapturous reviews and became one of the biggest earning films of all time.
Based on a classic fairy tale, the same basic story outline of Snow White was published by the Brothers Grimm in 1812, and was picked by Walt Disney partly because of the comic slapstick possibilities of the Seven Dwarfs (Disney ma have been influenced by the previous stage show, which had also given the Dwarfs names, although Disney's were different).
As subject material, "Snow White" had the advantages of good "brand recognition" (potential ticketbuyers didn't need anyone to explain what the film was about), the story would be familiar to both parents and their children and could attract families, and ... critically ... was emphatically out of copyright.
The massive success of Snow White immediately spawned a rash of licensing deals, ranging from the literal (such as lead figures of the main characters) to the indirect (Snow White Bagatelle), and the frankly rather strained (the disappointing Snow White sewing machine, whose main link to the film was the extravagant graphics on its cardboard box).
By naming the dwarfs and giving Snow White a distinctive "look", Disney were able to claim a form of ownership over the characters ... after all, Bashful, Happy, Grumpy, Sneezy, Sleepy, Dopey and Doc were Disney inventions, and there wasn't much point in anyone producing Snow White merchandise if their "Snow" didn't look like Disney's.
Pages in category ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’
The following 3 pages are in this category, out of 3 total.
Media in category ‘Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs’
The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.
- Snow White Bagatelle (Chad Valley).jpg 472 × 1,024; 373 KB
- Snow White Bagatelle, label (Chad Valley).jpg 1,024 × 683; 581 KB
- Snow White Picture Printing Outfits (GaT 1939-05).jpg 906 × 1,200; 423 KB
- Snow White Sewing Machine, box end (Gheysens LB W4D).jpg 1,800 × 974; 1.45 MB
- Snow White Sewing Machine, box instructions (Gheysens LB W4D).jpg 863 × 1,200; 922 KB
- Snow White Sewing Machine, box main (Gheysens LB W4D).jpg 1,600 × 1,173; 1.77 MB
- Snow White Sewing Machine, box reverse (Gheysens LB W4D).jpg 1,600 × 1,194; 1.85 MB
- Snow White Sewing Machine, box threading diagram (Gheysens LB W4D).jpg 881 × 1,200; 962 KB