Category:Park Gate, Queens Park
Park Gate is Queen's Park's second arched gateway, and is referred to after the name of the road that leads up to it from the South, Park Street. The continuation of the road beyond the gate is South Avenue.
Park Gate is a "cut down" version of Egremont Gate, smaller and less grand, but keeping the same basic design of a central road arch flanked by two smaller portals for pedestrians. The way that Park Gate is set back from the road passing its front creates a semicircular space, which makes the gate seem a little more impressive than it might otherwise look, which makes one wonder why Egremont Gate doesn't do something similar.
Bold raised letters above the main archway, Park Gate:
THE GIFT OF THE TRUSTEES OF THE BRIGHTON RACE STAND ALDERMAN HENRY ABBEY
ALDERMAN, JOHN L. BRIGDEN J.P. ALDERMAN RIDLEY J.P. AND WILLIAM SEYMOURBURROWS ESQUIRE TO THE INHABITANTS OF BRIGHTON. MDCCCXC ~
(the Roman numerals translate as "1890")
Lettering inset into the panel above the right-hand pedestrian entranceway, Park Gate:
THE HOVE & BRIGHTON
URBAN CONSERVATION BOARD
SUPPORTED BY ENGLISH HERITAGE
AND THE FRIENDS OF QUEENS PARKRESTORED THIS ARCH 1994
Media in category ‘Park Gate, Queens Park’
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.
- Park Gate, Queens Park (Brighton 2017).jpg 3,000 × 2,000; 4 MB
- Park Gate, Queens Park, 1994 inscription (Brighton 2017).jpg 2,915 × 1,163; 1.83 MB
- Park Gate, Queens Park, angle view (Brighton 2017).jpg 3,000 × 1,331; 2.93 MB
- Park Gate, Queens Park, commemorative text (Brighton 2017).jpg 1,613 × 875; 651 KB