|Toy Brands and Manufacturers|
Impy Toys diecast cars were produced by Lone Star (DCMT) from around 1965/1966 onward. The range was a follow-up to the company's 1956 Roadmaster range.
Impy Toys (officially Lone Star Roadmaster Impy Super Cars) were smaller than comparable Corgi Toys range, and made a point of including a range of "Corgi-type" opening doors and other features but in a smaller size (hinted at by the "imp" in the name). When Mattel then produced their Hot Wheels range with low-friction axles, Lone Star responded with their own low-friction models, later tagged the Flyer range.
Although the common name "Impy Toys" doesn't seem to have actually appeared on the packaging we've looked at, and might not be technically correct, the name was fairly implicit considering the wider context of the competing Dinky Toys, Corgi Toys, Husky Toys, and Budgie Toys, and the range is understandably often referred to casually as "Impy Toys", instead of the rather longwinded official name, "Lone Star Roadmaster Impy Super Cars".
The attempt to give their small models "opening everything" meant that the profusion of doors and hatches with deep open clearance-spaces sometimes interrupted what would have otherwise been smooth lines – the Impies sometimes looked more "chopped-up" than the Corgi equivalents, which were better at hiding their joints, partly due to their larger scale, but also due to slightly more sophisticated designwork.
... from the box of a #24 Foden Open Truck, not necessarily the complete final range
- 10 – Jaguar Mk. X
- 11 – Gran Tourismo Coupe
- 12 – Chrysler Imperial (Hard Top)
- 13 – Ford (USA) Thunderbird
- 14 – Ford (GB) Zodiac Mk.III Estate
- 15 – Volkswagen Micro Bus
- 16 – Motorway Police Patrol Car
- 17 – Mercedes-Benz 220SE Limousine
- 18 – Ford (GB) Corsair
- 19 – Volvo 1800 S
- 20 – Volkswagen Ambulance
- 21 – Fiat 2300 S Coupe
- 22 – Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud III
- 23 – Alfa Romeo Giulia 1600 Spider
- 24 – Foden Open Truck
- 25 – Payloader
- 26 – Foden Tanker
- 27 – Ford (Germany) Taurus
- 28 – Peugeot
- 29 – Cement Mixer Lorry
- 30 – Fire Engine
- 31 – Breakdown Lorry
- 301 – No.1 Gift Pack
- 302 – No.2 Gift Pack
- 401 – Car Ramp
- 402 – Lock-Up Garage
- 403 – Service Station
- Lone Star Impy Supercars (hobbytalk.com)
- Lone Star Impy Volvo 1800S, 1968 (toysfromthepast.blogspot.co.uk)
- Impy Roadmasters, Flyers and Commercials, listing (dfwbeckett.net)
- TOPIC: Lone Star Impy Road Master & Flyer toy cars (planetdiecast.com)
- Lone Star Impy, discussion (joesdiecastshack.yuku.com)
Media in category ‘Impy Toys’
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.