Monument to John Frederick Ginnett (horse statue)
The grade 2 monument to John Frederick Ginnett (1819-1892) is a white stone statue of a sad circus pony on a Portland stone base, on a granite plinth. John was the son of Jean Pierre Ginnett, who founded a circus dynasty.
The sculpture was installed in 1892, and subsequently has further panels added to commemorate other members of the family.
John Frederick Ginnett
Ginnet started publicly performing on horseback at the age of about six, and opened a permanent circus and hippodrome just north of The Level. He then went on to open the Hippodrome Circus on North Road in ~1891, not long before he died in 1892. This building became the Grand Theatre, which was demolished in 1961, and is now occupied by Tower Point.
- Personality of the month John Frederick Ginnett (brightonmuseums.org.uk)
- Jean Pierre Ginnett (wikipedia.org)