|Toy Brands and Manufacturers|
Rosebud was the brandname of Nene Plastics, who started making composition dolls in around 1947 with "Rosebud" stamped into the back to avoid the trap of anonymity that had prevented so many other doll companies from being better known. A Rosebud Doll was emphatically a Rosebud Doll, and the company's obvious confidence in their product made it easier to sell the dolls to retailers and to parents.
Nene was run by Eric Smith, who'd taken control of the family company in 1934. With the opening of a new factory in 1960 in Wellingborough, Northants, doll production took off, and the company was bought out in 1967 by Mattel, who continued to make the dolls with "Rosebud, Mattel" branding.
1954 advertising text:
She'd love a Rosebud doll
Walking dolls, talking dolls, dolls with hair that can be combed and curled, dolls with eyes that open and shut, baby dolls and bigger dolls – you'll find them all in the delightful Rosebud range. Realistically modelled in strong, lightweight plastic, these loveable, likelike dolls are all that good dolls should be. At stores and toyshops everywhere. See them now – and take her with you.
1955 advertising text:
The new 1956 Rosebud range is the most fascinating doll display you've ever seen.
There are Rosebud dolls of every kind – talking, walking, miniatures, white or dusky, babies or girls, either beautifully attired from head to foot or without clothes – and exquisitely modelled in durable lightweight plastic. Come and see Britain's finest and most popular dolls.
- Chatty Cathy Doll, Mattel-Rosebud (collections.vam.ac.uk)
- Rosebud Baby Doll (collections.vam.ac.uk)
- Re: Jack Morris, "My Grandfather used to model Rosebud dolls", by Cate O'Neill (petalinadolls.co.uk)
- "Can you remember your first doll?", by Cathy Murray (writingafamilyhistory.com)
- Rosebud Dolls (collectiblescoach.com)
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category ‘Rosebud Dolls’
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category ‘Rosebud Dolls’
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- Every Little Girl wants a Rosebud Doll (GaT 1956).jpg 2,084 × 3,000; 1.09 MB
- L Rees and Co (BPO 1955-10).jpg 786 × 1,200; 532 KB
- Rosebud Dolls (BPO 1955-10).jpg 1,499 × 1,413; 635 KB
- Rosebud Dolls (GaT 1956).jpg 1,873 × 1,767; 373 KB
- Rosebud Dolls logo (1955).jpg 1,200 × 492; 90 KB
- Rosebud dolls, logo (1956).jpg 1,789 × 1,023; 158 KB
- She d Love a Rosebud Doll (BPO 1955-10).jpg 1,208 × 1,800; 1,017 KB