|Toy Brands and Manufacturers|
Like Meccano, the sets were numbered 0, 1 and 2 in order of the contents, with the larger sets usually including all the contents of the lower-numbered versions, with the larger sets coming in "L" (for "Spirit Lamp") and "B" (for "Bunsen Burner") versions.
Chemistry sets were easy for companies to produce from cheap materials if they already had the infrastructure to make the boxes and produce manuals (which Meccano Ltd had in abundance), and Meccano Ltd also had the advantage of being able to heavily promote Kemex in their own magazine, Meccano Magazine, with full-page ads and promotional editorial articles.
1934 promotional text
- " The contents of the Meccano Kemex Chemical Outfits provide many hours of fascinating fun. With the apparatus and materials contained in them a boy can make inks and soaps; dye wool, cotton and silk, and bleach fabrics that are already dyed; analyse air and water; grow crystals; write with electricity; make invisible inks and a chemical garden; and perform a host of other interesting chemical experiments.
- The Outfits include everything necessary, and the hundreds of experiments that can be made are described in a simple manner in an attractive Manual that is included in each Outfit. The No.0, No.1, No.2L and No.3L Meccano Kemex Outfits each contain a Spirit Lamp for use as a source of heat. In the No.2B and No.3B Outfits a highly efficient Bunsen Burner is included instead of a Spirit Lamp. "
No. 0 Meccano Kemex Outfit
- 75 experiments
- This Outfit includes a supply of specially selected chemicals, packed in airtight containers, together with a length of Magnesium Ribbon, sufficient to perform 75 attractive experiments. The apparatus provided includes Test Tubes, Test Tube Brush, Delivery Tubes and Corks, and a simple and highly efficient Spirit Lamp that makes the Outfit completely self-contained. Price 5/-
No. 1 Meccano Kemex Outfit
- 130 Experiments
- This Outfit includes the whole of the contents of the No.0 Outfit, together with further chemicals that increase the number of experiments that can be performed to 130. The additional apparatus includes a Test Tube Holder, Glass Stirring Rod, Funnel and Filter Papers. Price 7/6
No. 2L Meccano Kemex Outfit
- 250 Experiments
- This outfit includes the whole of the contents of the No.1 Outfit, and further chemicals that increase the number of experiments up to 250. The additional apparatus includes a porcelain Evaporating Dish, Special Test Tubes, a handsome Test Tube Stand, and an Evaporating Stand.
No. 2B Meccano Kemex Outfit
- Similar to No. 2L Meccano Kemex Outfit, except that a Bunsen Burner is included in place of the Spirit Lamp.
No 3L Meccano Kemex Outfit
- 350-400 Experiments
- This Outfit includes the whole of the contents of No. 2 Outfit, with additional chemicals and apparatus. The latter includes a gas-generating apparatus, consisting of a large Wide-necked Flask with Thistle Funnel and Delivery Tubes, and a Blowpipe.
No 3B Meccano Kemex Outfit
- Similar to No. 3L Meccano Kemex Outfit, except that a Bunsen Burner is included in place of the Spirit Lamp. Price 25/-
Pages in category ‘Kemex’
The following 2 pages are in this category, out of 2 total.
Media in category ‘Kemex’
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.
- Kemex Chemical Outfit Parts (MCat 1934).jpg 2,000 × 1,474; 636 KB
- Kemex Chemical Outfits (MM 1935-11).jpg 1,183 × 2,705; 558 KB
- Kemex Chemical Outfits, lab (MM 1933-06).jpg 1,605 × 2,103; 779 KB
- Kemex Chemical Outfits.jpg 1,573 × 2,076; 823 KB
- Kemex Chemistry Outfit No0 (MCat 1934).jpg 1,400 × 2,047; 393 KB
- Kemex Chemistry Outfit No1 (MCat 1934).jpg 1,400 × 2,195; 427 KB
- Kemex Chemistry Outfit, 2L and 2B (MCat 1934).jpg 1,400 × 2,373; 522 KB
- Kemex Chemistry Outfit, 3L and 3B (MCat 1934).jpg 1,400 × 2,379; 561 KB
- Meccano Kemex (MM 1935-06).jpg 1,621 × 2,158; 541 KB
- Meccano Kemex Outfits (MCat 1934).jpg 2,000 × 1,477; 745 KB
- Meccano Ltd brands list (packaging).jpg 800 × 600; 256 KB