Category:James Stanley Beeson
|Toy Brands and Manufacturers|
James Stanley Beeson
James Stanley Beeson (1909-1990) (a.k.a. "Stan Beeson", or just "Beeson") has been described as possibly the greatest railway modelmaker of the Twentieth Century.
Beeson made model locomotives, and sold them himself ("Locomotives by Beeson"), and through a few of the various UK model railway suppliers, who would sell them under their own brandnames.
Beeson's pieces, even his earlier and more simply-constructed locos, were superlatively good - there was something about the look of a Beeson-built loco that just stopped you in your tracks. You might not be able to put your finger on what made the item look so special, but you could tell that it wasn't a standard piece. A perfectionist who took a jeweller's approach to his metalworking, Beeson made his own complex parts including wheels, and did his own paintwork. Although he built locos in batches, these were individually handcrafted pieces that wouldn't leave Beeson's studio until he was completely satisfied with them - some of his later pieces are considered to be practically the equivalent of Fabergé eggs in terms of metalcrafting excellence.
- James S. Beeson, 147 Neasden Lane, London NW10
- James S. Beeson, "Wentworth", Hangersley Hill, Ringwood, Hants.
- Richard A. Ganderton, James Stanley Beeson (Faculty Publishing, 1999) ISBN 1902888006 - a gorgeous (and expensive) large-format book, usually referred by collectors as just "The Beeson Book"
- James Stanley Beeson (1909-1990), profile (vectis.co.uk)
- Beeson - Lee Marsh Model Co. (www.leemarshmodelco.com)
- James Stanley Beeson 0 Gauge (binnsroad.co.uk)
- The scratchbuilding work of James Stanley Beeson (modelmaker.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk)
- John Windsor, Style & Spending: "Model-makers with one-track minds: Finescale locomotives, especially the meticulous replicas by the late Stanley Beeson, attract a rare breed of enthusiast" (www.independent.co.uk)
Pages in category ‘James Stanley Beeson’
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category ‘James Stanley Beeson’
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.
- Beeson locomotive competition (TMRN 1933-04).jpg 1,409 × 2,200; 708 KB
- Locomotives by Beeson (TMRN 1932-12).jpg 1,600 × 1,295; 464 KB
- Locomotives by Beeson, Stirling Single (MEE 1936).jpg 1,800 × 1,407; 379 KB
- Use Beeson Fittings, James S Beeson (TMRN 1931-08).jpg 800 × 378; 66 KB