|Toy Brands and Manufacturers|
Hugar Models of South Street, Epsom were produced by Hugh Gardner, and were predominantly wooden trackside buildings - however, there were also items of rolling stock and other pieces.
Construction of the wooden buildings was slightly crude and cheerful, and tended to use "dollhouse" construction tricks - a signalbox might have a protruding panel-pin for a doorknob, and have a door that hinged thanks to a piece of cloth attached to the back.
1938 advertising text:
* ALL GAUGE '00' RAILWAYMEN will be interested in our new series of lineside models. In addition to essential models such as stations, goods depots, etc., we afre making many new ones as standard productions, including factory, power station, advertisement hoarding, village inn, sand and cement depot, etc., etc. Every building is a hand-made copy of the real thing, built by expert workmen with years of experience.
Gauge '0' experts and those model enthusiasts who are not so keen on railways, but want model farm yard buildings, barracks, army huts or even sandbags and gun emplacements – all are catered for.
Write for our free catalogue and price list. Ask your local dealer to show you the latest Hugar Models.
The models range in price from 6D. to 22'6
— , Hugar Models, , Meccano Magazine, , October 1938
1939 advertising text:
All models are true to scale, built by disabled war veterans, and offered at distinctly reasonable prices.
Platforms for stations can be shaped according to your precise requirements.
— , Hugar Models, , Scale Railway Modelling Today, , September 1939
Hugar Models range
Their 1939 advert lists eighteen categories of building:
- Timber Yard
- Sand and Cement Depot
- Coal Yard
- Stations, Large and Small
- Locomotive Sheds
- Tunnel Portals
- Village Inns
- Oil Depot
- Forage Merchant's Yard
- Freight Sheds
- Shunters' Cabin
- Road Bridges
- Foot Bridges
- HUGAR MODELS LTD. – South Street, Epsom, Surrey
This category has the following 2 subcategories, out of 2 total.
Pages in category ‘Hugar Models’
The following 3 pages are in this category, out of 3 total.
Media in category ‘Hugar Models’
The following 6 files are in this category, out of 6 total.
- Crowhurst Signal Box (Hugar Models).jpg 1,400 × 1,050; 713 KB
- Farm Buildings set, view05 (Hugar for Britains).jpg 3,000 × 1,833; 874 KB
- Farm Buildings set, view06 (Hugar for Britains).jpg 3,000 × 1,812; 862 KB
- Hugar brand logo.jpg 1,024 × 696; 208 KB
- Hugar Models advert (SRMT 1939).jpg 715 × 1,200; 205 KB
- Hugar Models, 1939 range (SRMT 1939).jpg 2,452 × 1,568; 382 KB