Hove Lagoon is at the end of Hove Esplanade, and during the model boating boom of the 1930s was one of of the two main centres for model yachting and sailing other model boats in the Brighton and Hove area, the other being the boating lake at Queens Park.
The patch of land was originally a boggy silted-up region called Salt Daisy Lake (within Salt Daisy Field, Aldrington Basin). In the 1920s, the council decided that it would take over and maintain the seafront, and the small neglected saltwater hollow that flooded at high tide was earmarked as a possible ornamental pond. The legalities of buying the land were complicated by the fact that there was a grey area as to how far riverbank rights for the bottom of the Adur extended to the silted region that it has created beyond the original seashore. However, everything seemed to eventually get resolved, the fiances were finally sorted and works finished, and Hove Lagoon was at last opened in 1930.
Big Beach Cafe
Norman Cook, aka Fatboy Slim opened the Big Beach Cafe on the lagoon in June 2013.
- Hove Lagoon Watersports Centre (lagoon.co.uk)
- Hove Lagoon (mybrightonandhove.org.uk)
- Salt Daisy Lake - then & now (brightonbits.blogspot.com)
- Hove Lagoon's History From The Encyclopaedia of Hove & Portslade (hovehistory.blogspot.com)
friends of hove lagoon:
- Dozens gather to discuss setting up a friends group for Hove Lagoon (brightonandhovenews.org) – 4th May 2016
- "Friends of Hove Lagoon" Twitter account (@LagoonHove) – Twitter
hove lagoon skatepark:
- The Skateparks Project: Hove Lagoon Skatepark (skateparks.co.uk)
- Barclays on board with Hove Lagoon (footballfoundation.org.uk) – 9th May 2012
- Aroe makes his mark at Hove Lagoon (brightonandhovenews.org) – 16th July 2016
big beach cafe:
- Big Beach Cafe, Hove Lagoon, homepage (bigbeachcafe.com)
- Fatboy Slim's new Brighton beach cafe (theguardian.com) –16 Aug 2013
Pages in category ‘Hove Lagoon’
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category ‘Hove Lagoon’
The following 4 files are in this category, out of 4 total.
- A Corner of the Lagoon (HoveIG 1936).jpg 2,500 × 1,727; 2.93 MB
- Hove Lagoon, aerial view (HoveIG 1936).jpg 3,000 × 2,286; 4.23 MB
- Model Yachting, Hove Lagoon (HoveIG 1936).jpg 2,500 × 1,742; 2.82 MB
- The Lagoon, Hove, postcard 1220 (postmarked 1938).jpg 3,000 × 1,920; 778 KB