Specialist chocolatier Choccywoccydoodah was founded in the 1990s by duo Christine Garett and Christine Taylor. The shop created extravagant chocolate sculptures and sculpted cakes, and its shop window in The Lanes was high on many tourists' lists of things to see when in Brighton.
2005 website text:
We specialise in one-off sculptured fantasies, bespoke wedding cakes, gifts (small and thoughtful, as well as extravagant gestures), birthday cakes, slabs of marbled chocolate, fantasy pets, really naughty stuff…… all in chocolate.
It takes a huge amount of intensive work and training to become a choccywoccydoodah chocolatier.
Each member of our very specialised teams are chosen because of their art school or catering backgrounds.
Their skills are then adapted to their new medium – chocolate.
Our chefs bake our amazing chocolate cakes, made to a top secret recipe, handed down through three generations.
We have 2 chocolatier florists whose sole purpose is to hand make, from solid chocolate the most astonishing chocolate flowers.
The top secret technique is completely unique and doesn’t involve any pastes, fondants or glycerine!
Our chocolate floristry is constantly evolving – by researching nurseries and flower shows we are able to adapt our skills ahead of fashion.
In their hands, chocolate performs as never before, transformed into art, fabric, furniture or - beautiful food.
We always have a junior team of trainees at varying stages of their new career in chocolaterie.
They expect to train for 2 to 3 years before they become a fully fledged choccywoccydoodah chocolatier.
Between us all, we have a dynamic, talented, experienced and unique team of people whose ambition and desire is to provide our customers with much more than they could have ever anticipated.
— , Choccywoccydoodah, , http://www.choccywoccydoodah.com/aboutus2.htm, , 2005
Choccywoccydoodah: The TV Series
The show and its special projects were the subject of a reality TV series (also called Choccywoccydoodah), with IMDB listing five or six series being made between 2011 and 2014.
- Choccywoccydoodah – 3 Meeting House Lane, Brighton BN1 1HB
- Christine Taylor, Choccywoccydoodah: Chocolate, Cake and Curses (Preface Publishing, 2015) ISBN 1848094515
- Works of chocol-art! It’s a chocolate shop favoured by the stars, and now Choccywoccydoodah reveals how they can transform the stuff into almost anything, by Lisa Sewards (dailymail.co.uk) – 20 April 2012
- Chocolaterie supplies film stars, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (news.bbc.co.uk) – 20th July 2005
- "A many layered thing", by Christopher Middleton (telegraph.co.uk) – 20th March 2004
- "No more tiers", by Michael Bateman (independent.co.uk) – 19th May 2002
- Top 10 Chocolate & Chocolatiers in Brighton (yelp.co.uk)
- Choccywoccydoodah (lonelyplanet.com)
- "Cafe choccy woccy heaven" (tripadvisor.co.uk)
tv and video
- Choccywoccydoodah, TV Series (2011– ) (imdb.com)
- Choccywoccydoodah: A Tour to Our Brighton Store (youtube.com) – video
Media in category ‘Choccywoccydoodah’
The following 3 files are in this category, out of 3 total.
- Choccywoccydoodah London store, closure notice (2018).jpg 1,260 × 810; 245 KB
- Choccywoccydoodah website closure notice (2019-05-10).jpg 529 × 343; 76 KB
- Choccywoccydoodah, 3 Meeting House Lane.jpg 2,000 × 1,334; 1.69 MB