Was begun about a year after the commencement of Kemp Town, on the estate of the Rev. Thomas Scutt in the parish of Hove; and though not so extensive as the latter town, it is superior to it in elegance, forming with its terrace and square most incontestably the handsomest spot in Brighton.
The other ground in the vicinity is laid out for private houses on a smaller scale, and for shops. A market house is also built for the accommodation of the neighbourhood, and will be opened in the ensuing spring. The general arrangement further includes a chapel, library, baths, and covered riding school one hundred and fifty feet long by forty-five feet wide. These extensive works are under the direction of Mr Busby, the architect.
— , John Bruce (publisher), , The History of Brighton, with the Latest Improvements, to 1831, , 1831