Shoreham branchline railway terminus

From The Brighton Toy and Model Index

The very first incarnation of a Brighton station terminus building went up in 1840 at the foot of the cliff to service the Brighton to Shoreham branch line, which had already been completed in advance of the main line to London and the main Station House, which were completed shortly after, in 1841.

This Shoreham terminus was a fairly basic building opposite an octagonal water tower that, as some commentators enjoyed pointing out, was rather more architecturally interesting than the actual station.

However, David Mocatta's Station House building was completed in 1841 slightly further down the London line at the junction of Trafalgar Street and Surrey Street, and was rather more impressive.