The Regent Foundry was originally on or near Regent Street, Brighton, but in 1823 the foundry moved to a larger site in the North Laine area, in order to be able to cope with the additional volume of work involved in the construction of the Chain Pier in 1822-1823.
The street alongside became known as Foundry Street, and many of the houses in Foundry Street were occupied by metalworkers and wooden patternmakers who worked in the foundry.
The Regent Foundry are supposed to have had a showroom on North Street where they displayed architectural ironwork such as railings and decorative details and household objects such as fire grates.
As well as producing the ironwork for the Chain Pier (with the exception of the pier's wrought iron suspension chains), they also produced the rather pretty goods line bridge over New England Road, which is now a footbridge and part of Brighton Greenway, and which carries the Ghost of Jenny Lind sculpture.
The large Post Office Depot in North Laine is supposed to be built on the site of the old foundry building.
- Foundry Street, 19th century photograph (mybrightonandhove.org.uk)
- Regent Foundry of Brighton (gracesguide.co.uk)
This category has only the following subcategory.
Pages in category ‘Regent Foundry’
This category contains only the following page.