The Hove Public Library.
Open.—Lending Library, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. Reference Library, 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Reading Room, 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. Magazine Room, 9a.m. to 9 p.m. Children's Library, 12 to 2 and 4 to 7.
This useful institution is installed in a fine building, in the English Renaissance style, erected in Church Road, mainly by means of a gift of £10,000 from the late Andrew Carnegie, and opened in 1908. It contains some 24,000 volumes for lending, and 12,000 for reference. The open access method is used.
In 1924 Viscountess Wolseley offered to equip a reference department and museum dedicated to horticulture and agriculture as a memorial of her father, the late Field-Marshal Viscount Wolseley, and in accepting the offer the Hove Corporation agreed to extend the present premises.
The building also contains a small but interesting Museum (open from 10 a.m. to dusk).
— , -, , A Pictorial and Descriptive Guide to Brighton and Hove, 10th Edition, , Ward, Locke & Co Ltd., , 1933