Arnold

From The Brighton Toy and Model Index
Toy Brands and Manufacturers

Arnold

1906 -     


Karl Arnold of Nuremburg (started by Karl Arnold, 1865 - 1946) started producing toys in 1906. The expanding company produced dollhouses and boats and a range of "sparking" tinplate toys (which it successfully patented). The company opened its own facility in Blumenthalstrasse in 1913, followed by a second site in Deutschherrnstrasse, and (some time after WW1) an outpost in Mühlhausen / Sulz.

The Nuremberg Deutschherrnstrasse factory was completely destroyed by bombing during WW2, and rebuilt, and introduced clockwork cars into their range in 1950.

N gauge

What really made Arnold's name was the company's introduction of an N-gauge model railway system in 1960, "Arnold Rapido 200", which included all the prefabricated parts necessary for a miniature model railway system, including scenery. This 1:200 system was supplemented with a 1:160 scale system in 1962 which quickly took over and became the company's core business.

The company shut down in 1995, and was bought out by Rivarossi Group in 1997, continuing as Arnold Modelleisenbahn GmbH.

The Mühlhausen plant shut in 2001, and the company ceased business with the 2003 bankruptcy of the Rivarossi parent company.

2004: Hornby Hobbies

Since 2004, the marque has been a Hornby Hobbies brand for N-gauge and TT-gauge model trains and accessories.

External links