|Toy Brands and Manufacturers|
The Palitoy brand name originated with Arthur Pallet, who, after failing his accountancy exams, realised that he needed a new career path, and (as one does) set up a company manufacturing celluloid products, Cascelloid Ltd., in 1919.
- Soft Baby Dolls
- Soft Girl Dolls
- Toy Rattles
- Needlework Boxes
- Egg Timers
- Plastex Dolls
- Novelty Dolls
- Table Tennis
- Carded Goods
- Cuddly Dolls
- Doll Sets
- Handicraft Sets
- Toy Windmills
Cascelloid branched out into other types of plastic manufacture (such as vinyl) as and when they became available, and usually marketed their toy products under the more consumer-friendly Palitoy name.
British Xylonite Company Ltd. took over Cascelloid in 1931, and the toymaking Palitoy Division was split off as a separate company in 1965.
From the 1960s onwards, Palitoy Ltd. were caught up in an increasingly complex succession of takeovers and mergers that typified British toymaking in the second half of the Twentieth Century.
Palitoy are probably best remembered for their plastic toy "baby" dolls, followed by Action Man (the UK version of the American "G.I. Joe"), and then for manufacturing Star Wars figures for the UK market. However Palitoy's R&D was eventually shut down as representing an unnecessary duplication of of the R&D work carried out by the US parent company, and and although the Palitoy brand persisted, it was by then no longer a properly independent marque.
- CASCELLOID LTD. – Britannia Works, Abbey Lane, Leicester
- "Star Wars and Action Man: The rise and fall of Palitoy", by Jennifer Harby (bbc.co.uk) – 12 September 2015
- V&A: Palitoy (vam.ac.uk)
- Best of British: Palitoy (collectors-club-of-great-britain.co.uk)
- Action Man and the black snowflakes (thefishthatblogged.com)
- Palitoy (wikipedia.org)
- Bob Brechin on the History of Palitoy (fanthatracks.com) – video
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Action Man (3 F)
Pages in category ‘Palitoy’
This category contains only the following page.
Media in category ‘Palitoy’
The following 21 files are in this category, out of 21 total.
- Action Figures, Palitoy 1982 Star Wars range (PalTradCat1982 p02).jpg 1,158 × 1,600; 623 KB
- Action Man logo, 1982 (Palitoy).jpg 1,200 × 782; 84 KB
- Action Man range, title page, Palitoy 1982 (PalTradCat1982 p01).jpg 1,156 × 1,600; 518 KB
- Action Man, by Frances Baird, book cover.jpg 1,003 × 1,200; 225 KB
- Hobbies Division, 1982 price list cover, Palitoy (PalTradCat1982).jpg 726 × 1,024; 164 KB
- Millennium Falcon, Palitoy 1982 Star Wars range (PalTradCat1982 p10).jpg 1,158 × 1,600; 658 KB
- Mini Rigs, Palitoy 1982 Star Wars range (PalTradCat1982 p04).jpg 1,155 × 1,600; 593 KB
- Palitoy 1982 Star Wars Action Figures (PalTradCat1982).jpg 3,451 × 3,258; 1.38 MB
- Palitoy 1982 Trade Catalogue, front cover (PalTradCat1982).jpg 1,158 × 1,600; 764 KB
- Palitoy dolls catalogue page (GaT 1939).jpg 2,274 × 2,990; 844 KB
- Palitoy Dolls trade advert (GaT 1956).jpg 1,056 × 1,600; 254 KB
- Palitoy Playthings logo.jpg 1,509 × 1,500; 107 KB
- Palitoy Playthings, babies' rattles (GaT 1939).jpg 2,229 × 2,969; 657 KB
- Star Destroyer Playset, Palitoy 1982 Star Wars range (PalTradCat1982 p08).jpg 1,152 × 1,600; 663 KB
- Star Wars Action Figures, Palitoy range 1982 (PalTradCat1982 p01).jpg 1,154 × 1,600; 522 KB