The names Hobbies (Catalogue), Hobbies Handbook and Hobbies Annual have all been used for yearly publications by Hobbies Ltd. of Dereham, Norfolk.
With the exception of "HOBBIES NEW ANNUAL", which seems (from the two examples in our collection) to have dealt exclusively with construction projects, most of these issues seem to have had a mixture of content, although in the case of catalogues with many illustrations and featured "article" products, the distinction between annual and catalogue becomes somewhat blurred. This is presumably why Hobbies at a couple of points chose to instead adopt the less specific term "Handbook".
The introduction to the 1916 issue of "Hobbies" declared it to be "the Thirty-Fourth annual issue of the Catalogue", suggesting that the publication may have first appeared as long ago as 1883.
Hobbies New Annual
Unlike most annuals, which endeavour to blend fiction with practical instruction, this volume, which now makes its first appearance, caters only for those interested in making things. It has been modelled in the belief that there is a large number of readers whose practical interests ar enot entirely satisfied by the mixture referred to above. HOBBIES NEW ANNUAL is new in that respect, for a sincere effort has been made to cater for every practical hobby interest. it is at once an Annual and a Manual!
The matter included has been specially selected because the articles dealt with do not require elaborate equipment or a heavy outlay on materials. None of the articles are suggestions, for everything has been made and tested. It is unfortunately true that many articles are written, describing things which have never actually been made. In that respect, too, this Annual is new; and it is thought that the diversity of subjects, the superabundance of illustrations, and the textual treatment will appeal to those many thousands of practical hobbyists who at present have had no Annual of their own.
In one other way this Annual differs from all others, for if the slightest difficulty be encountered in making up any of the articles described herein, the reader can obtain the services of an expert who will speedily help the reader out of that difficulty. Merely address a letter to the undersigned, c/o the Publishers, explaining the point on which you need advice. It will come to you by return of post.
— , F.J. Camm, , HOBBIES NEW ANNUAL, , 1932
This run of Hobbies Annual ended with the 1968 issue, with the company going into liquidation in late '68.
The relaunched Hobbies Handbook, Hobbies (Dereham) Ltd.
Media in category ‘Hobbies Handbook’
The following 22 files are in this category, out of 22 total.
- Timpo Toys (Hobbies 1968).jpg 838 × 1,200; 301 KB
- Hobbies 1916 Catalogue, cover.jpg 1,236 × 1,600; 518 KB
- Hobbies 1930 Catalogue, cover.jpg 1,185 × 1,600; 521 KB
- Hobbies 1932 Catalogue, cover.jpg 1,212 × 1,600; 626 KB
- Hobbies 1932 New Annual, cover.jpg 1,228 × 1,600; 490 KB
- Hobbies 1933 Catalogue, cover.jpg 1,188 × 1,600; 539 KB
- Hobbies 1953 Handbook, cover.jpg 1,199 × 1,600; 399 KB
- Hobbies Handbook 1954 advert (HW 1953-10-14).jpg 1,800 × 1,225; 719 KB
- Hobbies 1954 Handbook, cover.jpg 1,185 × 1,600; 421 KB
- Hobbies 1956 Handbook, cover.jpg 1,177 × 1,600; 294 KB
- Hobbies 1958 Annual, cover.jpg 1,174 × 1,600; 458 KB
- Hobbies 1959 Annual, cover.jpg 1,187 × 1,600; 422 KB
- Hobbies 1960 Annual, cover.jpg 1,172 × 1,600; 299 KB
- Hobbies 1961 Annual, cover.jpg 1,200 × 1,600; 466 KB
- Hobbies 1962 Annual, cover.jpg 1,176 × 1,600; 464 KB
- Miniature Sewing Machine, Casige 4100 (HobbiesH 1965).jpg 1,450 × 1,404; 462 KB
- Miniature Sewing Machine, Casige 4124 (HobbiesH 1965).jpg 1,660 × 1,450; 695 KB
- Hobbies 1966 Annual, cover.jpg 1,187 × 1,600; 419 KB
- Hobbies Annual 1967, cover.jpg 1,266 × 1,600; 471 KB
- Hobbies 1957 Handbook.jpg 1,177 × 1,600; 431 KB
- Hobbies 1983 Handbook, cover.jpg 1,131 × 1,600; 434 KB
- Modelcraft range (HobbiesHandbook 1952).jpg 2,000 × 1,450; 1.13 MB