Category:Sir Eric Hutchison
Sir Eric Hutchison (1897-1971) (a.k.a. Eric A.O. Hutchison, Brigadier (Royal Artillery) Sir Eric Alexander Ogilvy Hutchison, 2nd Baronet), was a well-known member of the Scottish model railway community, whose associated activities included documenting Scottish railway practices and equipment, producing plans and blueprints (some of which were sold by Bassett-Lowke Ltd.), and writing a column on model railway construction ("From Sir Eric's Notebook", in Railway Modeller magazine).
Along with fellow model railway enthusiast and writer Edward Beal, Hutchison co-founded MERCO (Model Exhibition Railway Co.) of Dundee, which produced affordable high-quality lithographed sheets that could be used to give model railways buildings and walkways a brick-effect or stone-effect cladding, or applied to the sides of home-made wooden model railway carriages to give a professional-looking finish.
In the Museum
Brighton Toy and model museum was grateful to receive a collection of Sir Eric Hutchison's model locomotives in January 2016, along with three boxes of associated archive material. We will be listing the locomotives online in early 2016, and hope to place and run some of them on the museum's central 1930s gauge 0 model railway layout. We will also be putting some of the relevant supporting material from the archive online, once we have had a chance to sift through it.
Links and resources
- "Sir Eric's rail model will be worth £3000", Daily Record, page 7, Thursday 19th May 1949
- "Sir Eric's model railway gives a peep into the past", Sunday Mail, page 5, Sunday 30th April 1950
This category has only the following subcategory.
Media in category ‘Sir Eric Hutchison’
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- Highland Railway locomotive, Sir Eric Hutchison (SundayMail 1950-04-30).jpg 1,200 × 599; 219 KB
- Lady May Hutchison (SundayMail 1950-04-30).jpg 1,245 × 1,600; 384 KB
- Model train on trestle bridge, Sir Eric Hutchison (DailyRecord 1949).jpg 1,200 × 777; 234 KB
- Sir Eric and Lady Hutchison (DailyRecord 1949-05-19).jpg 2,249 × 2,373; 743 KB
- Sir Eric Hutchison (SundayMail 1950-04-30).jpg 2,500 × 1,089; 601 KB
- Sir Erics Model Railway gives a Peep into the Past (SundayMail 1950-04-30).jpg 2,000 × 1,692; 945 KB
- Sir Erics rail model will be worth £3000 (DailyRecord 1949-05-19).jpg 835 × 2,000; 503 KB