Category:Pip, Squeak and Wilfred
Pip, Squeak and Wilfred were a trio of cartoon characters created by Bertram Lamb that were popular in Britain in the 1920s, first appearing in a cartoon strip in the Daily Mirror in 1919.
Pip (a dog), Squeak (a penguin) and Wilfred (a young rabbit) were three orphaned animals from different backgrounds who banded together to form a makeshift family unit. Appearing in around ~1919, the trio captured the British public's affection and let people see their feelings of loss and dislocation after the personal and social turmoil of WW1 acted out by three brave creatures who optimistically stuck together and helped each other to create a new life after surviving their own personal tragedies.
The success of the characters led to a range of merchandising, books, annuals and silent animated films.
WW1 Service medals
After World War One (generally taken to be 1914-1918, but technically 1914-1919 for the UK), the victorious allies issued the Victory Medal. In the UK this was issued to recipients of the 1914-15 Star and/or the British War Medal, so a lot of ex-servicemen received all three.
The appearance of the three medals at around the same time that the trio of cartoon characters hit the nation's consciousness (circa ~1919) led to the medals being irreverently nicknamed "Pip, Squeak and Wilfred".
- Pip, Squeak and Wilfred, firstworldwar.com
- Remembering Pip, Squeak & Wilfred and the Wilfredian League of Gugnuncs (thecartoonmuseum.wordpress.com)
- Pip, Squeak and Wilfred, Wikipedia
Pages in category ‘Pip, Squeak and Wilfred’
The following 3 pages are in this category, out of 3 total.
Media in category ‘Pip, Squeak and Wilfred’
The following 11 files are in this category, out of 11 total.
- Intro page, Pip and Squeak Annual 1937 (PipSqueakAnn 1937).jpg 1,832 × 2,400; 1.69 MB
- Pip and Squeak Annual, cover (PipSqueakAnn 1937).jpg 2,386 × 3,000; 1.35 MB
- Pip and Squeak at the dance (PipSqueakAnn 1937).jpg 2,167 × 2,400; 1.72 MB
- Pip and Squeak Summer Camp (PipSqueakAnn 1937).jpg 3,000 × 1,821; 1.25 MB
- Pip and Squeak, character lineup (PipSqueakAnn 1937).jpg 2,400 × 1,229; 1.15 MB
- Pip Squeak and Wilfred tin, 1930s, The Penguins Patrol.jpg 2,500 × 2,499; 4.38 MB
- Pip Squeak and Wilfred, lead figures (Pixyland-Kew).jpg 3,000 × 2,162; 1.38 MB
- Pip, Squeak and Wilfred game (Gamages 1932).jpg 1,595 × 1,598; 361 KB
- Santa Claus costume, Pip Squeak and Wilfred (PipSqueakAnn 1937).jpg 1,933 × 2,252; 1.33 MB
- Seafront Scene (PipSqueakAnn 1937).jpg 2,125 × 3,000; 1.69 MB
- Wilfreds Annual 1937, advert (PipSqueakAnn 1937).jpg 1,830 × 2,400; 919 KB