Michael Gilkes, FRCS, FRCOphth., FRGS (b.31 August 1923) was a trustee of Brighton Toy and Model Museum until his death at the end of 2014.
He was born in Montreal due to his professional musician mother being on a song recital tour at the time, and was brought up in Birmingham.
Michael was very into boats and the Antarctic, and was the station Medical Officer and Ship's Surgeon at Leith Harbour, on South Georgia Island, which is some distance Eastward and slightly southward of the Falkland Islands, and is pointed to by the Antarctic Peninsula. Due to his time there, Michael became an expert on the history of Shackleton, and penguins.
He went on to become an opthalmic surgeon, and was a Founder Friend of the Scot Polar Research Institute (SPRI), founder member of the James Caird Society, and a member of the Royal Cruising Club.
Toys in the Community
Michael was interviewed on the early influence of toys on his life for the Toys in the Community project, and the transcript is scheduled to be part of the project's website collection of oral history transcripts in 2016.
- Michael John Gilkes, obituary, British Medical Journal (bmj.com)
- Michael John Mb,bs.frcs.frco.phth. Gilkes, 22 Dec 2014 (theargus.co.uk)
- Amazon's page on "On the Water", with biographical information (amazon.co.uk)
- “It ain’t necessarily so”: South Georgia Loose Ends, by Michael Gilkes (lineone.net)
- Southwick man publishes sailing anthology (wscountytimes.co.uk)
- Michael Gilkes, On the Water (Book Guild Publishing, 2009) ISBN 1846243149
This category has only the following subcategory.
- ► Agricultural machinery (display) (3 P, 2 F)
Pages in category ‘Michael Gilkes’
The following 7 pages are in this category, out of 7 total.
Media in category ‘Michael Gilkes’
The following 8 files are in this category, out of 8 total.
- Engine rolls up at toy museum (Argus 2008-03-27).jpg 2,000 × 1,124; 700 KB
- Michael Gilkes afloat.jpg 1,643 × 2,200; 667 KB
- Michael Gilkes and Audrey Gilkes, riding locomotive GWR 2253 at Hove Park.jpg 2,138 × 3,000; 4.14 MB
- Michael Gilkes rides the Sir Granville quarter-scale steamroller.jpg 2,200 × 1,495; 1,020 KB
- Michael Gilkes, Brighton Toy and Model Museum.jpg 2,000 × 1,334; 1.39 MB
- On the Water - The yachting muse, Michael Gilkes, ISBN 1846243149.jpg 650 × 1,024; 107 KB
- Toys in the Community flyer A5.jpg 616 × 875; 122 KB
- Toys in the Community, Andrea Dumbrell (BTMM 2016).jpg 1,399 × 2,000; 511 KB