Jacob’s is a brand most famous for making crackers and savoury biscuits.
Jacob’s Biscuits was founded by William Jacob in 1850 in Waterford in Southern Ireland and by 1885, its famous cream crackers were being made in Dublin. In 1914, Jacob’s opened a factory in Aintree in Liverpool, which eventually split into a separate company in the early 1920s. Jacob’s has undergone various name changes and been absorbed or merged with a number of different companies since.
The companies remained separate until 1990 when they joined as Jacob’s Biscuit Group, only to split again in 2004. The Irish division, named the Jacob Fruitfield Food Group now operates under the Valeo Food Group (formed in 2010), while the UK division operates under United Biscuits. The two companies have been involved in a number of disputes over the use of the Jacob’s brand in the past decade.
- Séamus Ó Maitiú, W&R Jacob - Celebrating 150 Years of Irish Biscuit Making (The Woodfield Press) ISBN 0953429318
- "About Us" - The UK Jacob's timeline of its history (jacobs.co.uk)
- "Jacob's" - United Biscuit's history of the Jacob's brand (unitedbiscuits.com)
- "History" - United Biscuit's history (unitedbiscuits.com)
- "Jacob's Biscuits" - Valeo Food's description of the Jacob's brand (valeofoods.com)
- "History" - Valeo Food's history (valeofoods.com)
- "History of The Jacob's Bakery Aintree" - A video with pictures and facts about Jacob's with some old television adverts for Jacob's (youtube.com)
- "Origin Foods & Batchelors merge to form Valeo" - An article about the formation of Valeo foods (rte.ie)
- "Legal battle over fig roll packaging" - An article describing one of the disputes between the Irish Jacob's and United Biscuits (rte.ie)
Pages in category ‘Jacobs Biscuits’
The following 7 pages are in this category, out of 7 total.
Media in category ‘Jacobs Biscuits’
The following 14 files are in this category, out of 14 total.
- Alice biscuit tin 1892, internal paper lid sticker (Jacobs Biscuits).jpg 3,600 × 2,568; 6 MB
- Alice though the Looking-Glass tin (1892), lid inscription.jpg 2,000 × 1,129; 396 KB
- Alice though the Looking-Glass tin (1892), panel 4, Alice and the Red Queen.jpg 3,000 × 2,998; 2.44 MB
- Alice Through the Looking-Glass tin (1892), lid illustration.jpg 2,000 × 1,334; 1.88 MB
- Alice Through the Looking-Glass tin (1892), W and R Jacob stamped base.jpg 2,000 × 1,334; 436 KB
- Cake tin base (Jacobs Biscuits).jpg 1,598 × 1,600; 1.52 MB
- Christmas Cake for Children (Jacobs Biscuits).jpg 1,600 × 1,600; 1.17 MB
- Hornby Jacob's Biscuit Van (1925 HBoT).jpg 733 × 629; 59 KB
- Hornby Jacob's Biscuit Van (1928 HBoT).jpg 749 × 610; 68 KB
- W and R Jacobs Biscuits van (Matchbox).jpg 2,000 × 1,126; 1 MB
- Wheel of Fortune moneybox (Jacobs Biscuits).jpg 600 × 800; 406 KB