Category:Hornby No1 Special locomotives
|Hornby Series Loco|
Hornby No1 Special locomotives
The No. 1 Special Locomotive, introduced in 1929, used a new mechanism which surpassed the one used by the No. 1 in power, significantly improving haulage capacity. The design was nearer contemporary train design than its predecessors; the addition of large boilers with safety valves and changes to the chimney and dome were among the amendments differentiating the range from previous models.
Electric E120 Special Locomotives were brought in during 1934, requiring large changes to the body to accomodate the large 20 volt reversing mechanism.
Like the No. 1 Special Tank locomotives, the No. 1 Special locomotives had Great Western, Southern, LNER and LMS locomotives in a total of seven liveries.
Comparing images from the 1929 catalogue (clockwork) and 1939 catalogue (electric), we can see that the No.1 Special was essentially unchanged, at least in the illustrations. It still has an arched splashguard over each wheel, the rear coupled wheel is attached to a drive rod, there's a wraparound handrail on the boiler, and there are two "fake" handrails on the sides of the cab, one horizontal and one vertical.
- Chris and Julie Graebe, The Hornby Companion Series Vol 5 : The Hornby Gauge 0 System, 2nd Ed. 2000.
Pages in category ‘Hornby No1 Special locomotives’
The following 3 pages are in this category, out of 3 total.
Media in category ‘Hornby No1 Special locomotives’
The following 7 files are in this category, out of 7 total.
- Hornby E120 Special Locomotive GWR 2301 (HBoT 1934).jpg 1,057 × 707; 137 KB
- Hornby E120 Special Passenger Train (1939- catalogue).jpg 2,371 × 753; 502 KB
- Hornby No1 Special Locomotive and Tender LMS 4312 (HBoT 1929).jpg 1,701 × 1,133; 256 KB
- Hornby No1 Special Locomotive, LMS 4525 (HBoT 1930).jpg 1,529 × 747; 163 KB
- Hornby No1 Special Locomotive, LMS 4525 (HBoT 1934).jpg 2,044 × 1,578; 353 KB
- Hornby No1 Special Locomotive, LMS 8712, detail.jpg 1,024 × 575; 367 KB
- Hornby No1 Special Locomotive, Southern A 179 (HBoT 1930).jpg 1,391 × 701; 157 KB