Battery

From The Brighton Toy and Model Index

THE BATTERY

At the Western part of the town, consisting of six heavy pieces of ordnance, called 42 pounders, but they are in reality French six-and-thirty's, allowing 18 ounces to the pound, thus the real weight of the shot they carry is forty pounds and an half. Opposite this battery is the gunner's house; and the grand magazine for gunpowder is at the back of it. Formerly there was a battery to the East of the town, with four pieces of ordnance similar to the above, but the cliff being deemed insecure, a proportion of it immediately about the platform actually falling away, partly by the encroachments made by the sea, and partly by the explosions of the guns having shaken and weakened the foundation, which is composed of loose stones and sand, they were removed, and no other battery has since been formed.

— , Saunders, , The Stranger's Guide in Brighton; Being a Complete Companion to that Fashionable Place, and the Rides and Drives in Its Vicinity., , 1838