The cavalry barracks are situated about a mile from Brighton, on the Lewes Road, and are calculated to contain 625 private soldiers and non commissioned officers. The south wing contains the officers' apartments consisting of twenty-two rooms, together with rooms for the servants, and the mess, the barrack-master's office, the riding school, kitchens, &c. The granaries and forage barns form a distinct building in the centre, whilst the north wing is composed of thirty rooms for soldiers, with stables underneath. The military kitchen and other offices are detached, which adds much to the health and comfort of the men.
The hospital, a neat and commodious building, together with the armourers', smiths', tailors', shoemakers', and saddlers' shops, and the school room, stand at the northern, and the guard room and magazine at the southern extremity of the barrack yard.
The infantry barracks are situated in Church Street, where are accommodations for about 400 men.
— , Saunders, , The Stranger's Guide in Brighton; Being a Complete Companion to that Fashionable Place, and the Rides and Drives in Its Vicinity., , 1838