Category:Brighton Palace Pier

From The Brighton Toy and Model Index
(Redirected from Palace Pier)
Jump to: navigation, search

Brighton's "Palace Pier" (1899-) is the last surviving intact pier on Brighton's seafront. Built in 1899, it was designed as the replacement for the older, more utilitarian Chain Pier that used to be slightly to the East, and is reckoned to be Britain's most popular pier. The pier acquired new owners in 2016

The main pier building has a lovely dome, and stained-glass windows along the sides showing Brighton-related images. It's totally free to walk along the pier and look at the Brighton scenery, and the pier is a great way to see the Brighton seafront(s).

Origins

The Brighton Marine Palace and Pier Company was founded in 1888 with the intention of building the new pier, and bought the slightly decrepit Chain Pier in 1889 for fifteen thousand pounds, with the intention of demolishing it when the replacement was ready. Designed by R St. George Moore specifically as a "pleasure place", work was underway by 1891, but funding issues slowed the work, which was dealt a major blow by the Great Storm of 1896 which convincingly destroyed the Chain Pier and also temporarily took out the Daddy Long-Legs seagoing extension to the Volk's Electric Railway.

Wreckage from the Chain Pier battered against the piles of the Marine Palace Pier, causing significant damage and invalidating the original costings for the projects, and for a while, work on the pier stopped. It eventually had an opening ceremony in 1899, and was completed in 1901, with its construction timescale of ten years setting a record at the time for this sort of building.

Accumulations

The set of buildings at the Pier entrance include two kiosks salvaged from the old Chain Pier, and the entrance is topped by the clock that used to tower above the entrance to the Aquarium.

Naming

The most controversial episode in the pier's history was probably its then owners renaming and rebranding in ~2000 as "Brighton Pier". Brighton locals were upset at the apparent attempt to erase the history of the other Brighton piers (especially as in 2000, the West Pier was still expected to be renovated and reopened). Today, locals are probably resigned to the fact that the "Brighton Pier" lettering is unlikely to change (and is actually pretty good), but still make a point of referring to it as "The Palace Pier", as a matter of principle.

Historical notes

By 1890 the Chain Pier was becoming aged, and, with a view to its ultimate removal, it was sold in 1891 to a Company formed for the construction of the Palace Pier. The first pile of the new pier was driven in 1891, but, through difficulties, the pier was left in a half-finished state ...

For years the skeleton of the Palace Pier, with its wooden hoarding shutting it off from the Promenade, constituted a grievance that was keenly resented. With the Royal Albion Hotel opposite falling more and more into dilapidation, the approach to the marine front had quite a depressing and poverty-stricken appearance. These were bad days for Brighton.

— , W.H. Attwick, , Brighton Since the Grant of the Charter, 1854-1929, , 1929

The first pile was driven on November 7, 1891, but the pier was not ready for use until 1899. The Pavilion was opened on April 9 1901.

— , Ward, Lock & Co., Ltd., , A pictorial and descriptive guide to Brighton and Hove, the South Downs, Shoreham, Bramber, Lewes, Newhave, Seaford, etc: With routes for motorists and cyclists, , 1906

Aerial view of Brighton's Palace Pier, as seen from the Brighton Wheel

Exhibits

External links

official site

i360West PierPalace PierChain PierVolks RailwayDaddy Long-LegsBrighton Marina

Pages in category ‘Brighton Palace Pier’

The following 3 pages are in this category, out of 3 total.