Category:Madeira Drive and Brighton Promenade
Brighton Promenade (Madeira Drive) stretches Eastward from the Palace Pier and the Volks Aquarium Station to Kemptown.
It extends along the base of a bricked seafront cliff, with ornamental arched sheltering walkways extending along most of its length, which support further walkways and steps up to the road level.
Above Black Rock Station is a brick frontage that has the locked gate to the "Lewis Carroll Rabbithole".
Prior to 1869 there was just a pile of rubble at the foot of the seawall to help protect the seawall foundations from erosion by waves, but with the development of Kemp Town, which had buildings not too far from the almost vertical cliff wall, it was felt to be worthwhile "beefing up" the sea defences at the bottom of the cliff, and taking the opportunity to also make a pleasant seafront walkway to further enhance the desirability of Kemp Town. The existing pile of rubble was used as the basis for a new lower-level road and sheltered promenade extending the idea of the existing accessway for the Chain Pier.
The new Promenade, originally called Madeira Road, was built in coordination with the building of the new Aquarium, and faced with stone from London's Blackfriars Bridge which had been demolished in 1863.
Magnus Volk and the Volk's Electric Railway
The Volk's Electric Railway line runs unobtrusively along the beach in front of the Promenade, and Magnus Volk's railway workshop is built into the brickwork near Half-way Station.
Events and dates were checked on December 2015. Most of these dates refer to the 2015 events, but since calendaring for future events is liable to change in the future (along with some sponsor names), it's advisable to check with the organising bodies and/or with www.brightonrun.co.uk before planning to attend.
Pioneer Run (motorcycles)
- Organised by The Sunbeam Motor Cycle Club, the Pioneer run normally happens in March, and is open to motorcycles built before 1915. The run starts at Epsom Downs at 8.am, and finished at Madeira Drive.
- * Pioneer Run, Sunbeam Motor Cycle Club (sunbeam-mcc.co.uk)
Historic Commercial Vehicle Society Run (HCVS)
- Held on the first Sunday in May, the HCVS Run is for commercial vehicles – vans, lorries and buses – built before 1915.
- * Historic Commercial Vehicle Society (hcvs.co.uk)
- * HCVS Run (brightonrun.co.uk)
The Mini Run
- Normally held in May, the Mini Run is for Mini owners, and runs from Crystal Palace to Madeira Drive. It's organised by the London & Surrey Mini Owners Club.
- * The London to Brighton Mini Run (london-to-brighton.co.uk)
- * The Mini Run (brightonrun.co.uk)
The Classic and Kit Car Run
- Normally held in May, "classic" cars are assumed to be more than 25 years old.
- * The Classic and Kit Car Run (classicmotorevents.co.uk)
- * Classic and Kit Car Run [brightonrun.co.uk)
The Brighton Speed Trials
- The Brighton Speed trials have been held on the straight quarter-mile strip since 1905, making it the oldest car racing event in the world. They are normally held on the second Saturday in September.
- * Brighton Speed Trials , Brighton & Hove Motor Club (brightonandhovemotorclub.co.uk)
- * Brighton Speed Trials Saved, The Telegraph (telegraph.co.uk)
RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge
- The RAC Brighton to London Future Car Challenge is a running event for electric and hybrid cars that takes place on the day before the Vintage Car Run (a Saturday), and runs in the opposite direction (Brighton to London)
London to Brighton Veteran Car Run
- Popularly known as the London to Brighton Rally, this even has been held since 1926, and uses Madeira Drive as its final assembly point. Vehicles have to have been built before 1904 in order to be allowed to participate.
The Rally usually takes place on the first Sunday in November.
- Save Madeira Terrace: crowdfunding kickstarter-style project (spacehive.com)
- Seafront Arches Regeneration Receives £100k Boost (juicebrighton.com) – 14th July 2017
This category has the following 6 subcategories, out of 6 total.
Pages in category ‘Madeira Drive and Brighton Promenade’
The following 3 pages are in this category, out of 3 total.
Media in category ‘Madeira Drive and Brighton Promenade’
The following 12 files are in this category, out of 12 total.
- 1902 Panhard-Levassor,...
- 1904 De Dion-Bouton, 1...
- Brighton Promenade arc...
- Brighton Promenade arc...
- Brighton Promenade bac...
- Brighton Promenade, cl...
- Brighton Promenade, en...
- Brighton Promenade, lo...
- Collection of vintage...
- RAC London-Brighton Ve...
- RAC Veteran London-Bri...
- Save Madeira Terrace l...