Category:Bowman Working Models
As a company selling a range of stationary steam engines, it was natural for Bowman to also sell a range of "Working Models" gadgets for the engines to drive. We don't think that Bowman made most of these units themselves, they're listed as being "made abroad", which probably means that Bowman ordered them from a (probably German) manufacturer, with Bowman specifying certain changes to a selection of existing models, such as the metal Meccano-compatible bases.
These drilled or punched bases were especially useful for "working models" as, even if one didn't use the Meccano-compatible aspect, one needed some way for the units to be rigidly screwed to some sort of shared base, so that they could be connected by tensioned drivebands.
With a sufficiently powerful engine, one could drive the "shafting" model, a raised foot-long driveshaft with multiple drivewheels, which could then drive a number of working models simultaneously.
This sort of configuration used to be used in factories to allow a single high-power stationary steam engine to drive multiple individual workstations, via overhead driveshafts connected to drivebelts.
BOWMAN WORKING MODELS
Made abroad to Bowman Specification with Drilled Metal Bases
A new range of models worthy of your Bowman engine. Note their beautiful finish and realism and the special drilled base for using with Meccano and Erector sets. A Bowman Mod. 135 drove them all at once but the smallest Bowman will drive several of them at once. The entirely new Dynamo 839 really works with very small steam engines.
— , Jenkins Productions Ltd, , The Bowman Book of Steam Models,
- Model 830 – Dynamo
- – For 2½ Volt lamps, solidly made and strongly recommended for Model 135, height 4".
- Model 831 – Grindstone
- – A solidly made machine with iron frame and real grinding stone, height 5".
- Model 832 – Press
- A well-made reproduction of a real Press. Working parts of steel, height 4½".
- Model 833 – Circular Saw
- Steel plate frame with nickelled top, height 3½".
- Model 834 – Bandsaw
- – A thoroughly sound little machine with steel saw, height 4¾"
- Model 835 – Grindstone
- – Solidly made with real grindstone, height 3½"
- Model 836 – Fretsaw
- – Steel plate frame with nickelled top, height 4xx".
- Model 837 – Drill
- – A realistic miniature drilling machine, height 6¼"
- Model 838 – Shafting
- – For driving several models at one time. Length 12"
Media in category ‘Bowman Working Models’
The following 10 files are in this category, out of 10 total.
- Bandsaw, Working Model...
- Bowman Steam-Powered W...
- Circular Saw, Working...
- Drill, Working Model (...
- Dynamo, Working Model...
- Fretsaw, Working Model...
- Grindstone, Working Mo...
- Grindstone, Working Mo...
- Press, Working Model (...
- Shafting, Working Mode...